Saturday, September 6, 2014

September 6, 2014: 30 Paintings in 30 Days


The Land
6"x6"
Oil and Cold Wax on Gessoed Watercolor Paper
$75

A new phase of the challenge has begun for me.  I have pieces with dark under paintings using colors like Perylene Black, Indigo and Mars Black.  This challenges me because I began my art life as a watercolor artist.  I have known many oil artists that were challenged by watercolors needing to be painted light to dark.  Going the other way is extremely hard for me.

Some folks know me as a paint nerd.  Well, my heart just sang when I discovered Perylene Black in oil paints.  In watercolors, Perylene Green ranks right up there with Quin Gold as a must have color.  A few weeks ago, I was shopping at Jerry's, in Austin, and found Perylene Black.  I thought, could it be my old friend?  I knew the watercolor Perylene Green is really a black pigment.  Not often will I take the cap off of a tube of paint right there in the store but I had to this time.  When I touched the paint and rubbed it between my fingers, I felt like I had found a pot of gold.  It was my old friend Perylene Green, except in oils it is Perylene Black.  Yippee!!!!!!

So, this little jewel started life as a solid coat of Perylene Black.  Before it dried, I began lifting paint off.  I was just delighted to see what emerged from this monochromatic paint scheme based on one of my favorite colors. 

I am happy……….. 

No comments:

Post a Comment