Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September 2, 2014: 30 Paintings in 30 Days


Fiery Sky
Oil and Cold Wax on Ampersand Panel
8"x8"
$125

When I start a new painting for the 30 in 30 challenge, it is with no intended outcome.  Maybe, I start with a new color or use a new to apply the paint.  Maybe, I want to try a new texture.  This painting started with a new (for me) Ampersand panel type.  It was their Value Series.  It has a sort of canvas texture surface.  That may not sound like much of a challenge but I do not paint on canvas.  My first reaction was yuck, too much consistent all over pattern.  But after a few layers, even I did not know the texture was there.  So, OK, I may use more of this Ampersand product.

Probably a bigger challenge was that the whole panel was under painted in several layers of different oranges.  I am not a fan of big pieces or orange.  I had to work through toning down the orange.   I wanted just spots to really pop out and glow.   Good old neutrals and a contrasting blue got things going to make the orange glow.  

I am happy with the outcome of texture and color.

No comments:

Post a Comment