Friday, September 19, 2014

September 19, 2014: Day 19 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge


Shards
6"x6"
Oil and Cold Wax on Gessoed Watercolor Paper
mounted on Ampersand panel
$75

This painting is currently available through Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas, Texas. Please contact them at 214/348-7350

I see broken pieces.  Is it glass? Is it tile?  Pottery?  Shards of paint?  OK, I will leave it to the viewer to decide about the shards of what.   That is the thought process I go through when I am naming a painting.  What do I see?  I do not usually start out with a name.  I let the painting tell me.

This painting was actually done a week ago.  At the same time Day 12 was done.  It is amazing that almost the same color pallet can yield such a different outcome.  The only color difference is this is Mars Black instead of Perelyne Black.  The biggest difference is the different methods of manipulating the oil wax.  Day 12 is calming.  The large blocks of color are so calming.  Today, Day 19, is sharp and hard feeling.  Just like Shards. 

The actual feeling as I painted was totally different, too.  Day 12, smooth and lyrical.  Day 19 was physical, cutting, stabbing, dragging.  I remember the sounds that I made with the tools as I did Day 19.

I have a favorite acronym - SSDD - Same S- - - Different Day.  Maybe I have a new one - SPDP - Same Paint Different Painting.  That is how a lot of series of paintings happen.

I am happy…..



2 comments:

  1. Haha! I wonder how the ACILW feels about your attitude on the Day 19 painting! Very dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can only guess he is not "disturbed" by it. Maybe it is a little more soothing because of the color pallet because he has not said a word.

    ReplyDelete