Wednesday, September 17, 2014

September 17, 2014: 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge


Almost Autumn
6"x6"
Oil and Cold Wax on Gessoed Watercolor Paper
mounted on Ampersand panel
$75

I thought about waiting a week to post this painting on the official first day of Autumn but it is the one that is ready today.  So, it is Almost Autumn.  It makes me look forward to leaves and grasses changing.  When the light is right there is a definite sparkle to them.  The colors of Autumn are a delight to the senses of an artist.  Autumn - my favorite time of the year.

On the technical side of art: This painting has had many lives over the past couple of months.  At some point, it was totally over painted with all white.  The whole process of oil and cold wax means nothing is ever totally ruined.  I am the one in control.  It has, what feels like, a jillion layers of color.  They have been cut, gouged and scratched all along the way.  They have been melded together with solvent. Glazed over again.  And the process would start over.  Finally, I got the sparkle of Autumn leaves in the dappled light.

I am happy…..

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous ! Great colors like that make me like autumn !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. Colors really can tell the story.

    ReplyDelete