Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 13 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge


Shimmering White Place
(Ghost Ranch Series)
5"x5"
Oil and Cold Wax on Gessoed WC Paper
NFS

Oh my, I didn't think today's painting was going to happen.  Nothing was working.  Suddenly, I knew I was painting White Place and I was HAPPY.

Last Fall, my friend, Kathy, and I spent a week at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico.  For us, it was Art Camp for adults because we got to paint every day.  One day, Cindy Walton, our instructor took us to White Place.  I have to admit that I did not know about Georgia O'Keefe painting White Place but I quickly fell in love with it, too.  Beautiful whiteish,  grayish canyon walls were in shadow when we arrived.  Out in the open, the sun made the rocks in the stream bed sparkle.  Magic. 

I didn't get much painting or drawing done while we were there.  I just wanted to get the feeling of White Place.  I was perfectly happy sitting in the shade, feeling the cool breeze and soaking it all in.  That one short morning was absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!  This painting sums it all up.

  

2 comments:

  1. Yes it does!!!! I love this one. You have the captured the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, My Travelling Buddy. You understand the feeling of White Place! I keep wondering if we will see it again in person. Maybe just remembering the feel is even better. Nothing can change memories of it.

    ReplyDelete